Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Team Spirit Infinity Scarf

I was browsing the yarn section at Joanns one day when I stumbled on this...

Source
Um, can we say "awesome"?!?!  So I knew I had to create something with this yarn since it's so awesome and in my alma mater's colors (they also had other colors, but I didn't really care about them).

So I made this:


An infinity scarf.  I used the pattern that was on the back of the paper wrap around the yarn - you can also find it online here.  It was for a knit scarf, but I made mine a little longer and sewed the ends together to make it never-ending, hence the "infinity" part.  It's so simple, too - basically cast on 18 stitches and knit back and forth (the garter stitch) until it's the length you desire, and sew up the ends with a yarn needle.  Here's what Red Heart's scarf looks like:

Source
What I love about it is that I can wear it in several different ways.  I can wear it was one giant loop - a little weird, but that's beside the point.  I typically wear it double-looped around my neck so that it's not suffocating but still warm (which is how I'm wearing it in the picture above).  When it gets a little colder, I'll probably try wearing it triple-looped for added warmth.  I can even have it wrapped around my neck and over my head and ears at the same time for those days I forget ear warmers!

Left: double-looped, Middle: triple-looped, Right: double-looped and pulled over head and ears
The yarn itself is soft and easy to use (and relatively inexpensive).  It automatically creates the stripes so I didn't have to change colors for each section, which was really nice and convenient.  And the colored sections are all the same length, too.  Another nice convenience.  I didn't have to count anything except for casting on 18 stitches and recounting every once in a while to make sure I hadn't added or dropped any stitches (for some reason I always end up adding them when I'm using the garter stitch).

I finished the scarf in a reasonable amount of time, maybe a couple hours.  And I'm super happy with how it turned out in the end.  I might just have to buy some more to make some of the other projects using the coordinating patterns!

Happy knitting!


No comments: