Friday, February 11, 2011

Bonus Blog: Book Review - "Couples Who Pray" by Squire Rushnell & Louise DuArt



"Couples Who Pray" - Review


I recently read a complimentary book provided to me by Book Sneeze called "Couples Who Pray" by Squire Rushnell & Louise DuArt.  (Although the book is complimentary, my opinions are 100% my own, and I was not paid for my review.)

The book is written for Christian couples to discover the power of praying together through the authors' 40 day prayer challenge.  The first two thirds(ish) of the book is mainly dedicated to testimonials from couples, many of whom are relatively well-known, who tried the 40 day challenge.  The last third (or so) of the book refers more to the actual challenge and factors that can/will affect couples during the challenge.  

I was not thrilled with the book for the first two thirds.  I did not like that the majority of the book seemed to be a bunch of name dropping.  I was hoping it would be more grounded in Biblical truths than other peoples' - famous or not - testimonials.  However, I thought the last third of the book was way more what I was hoping the rest of the book would be - more Biblical references, more personal dialogue from the authors, and less name dropping.  The last third could flow better than it did, but I felt like it made my time spent with the book worth it. 

Overall, I liked the concept put forth from the authors - I just wish there wasn't so much celebrity dialogue.  


No comments: