Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Christmas Music Theory

I have discovered that there is a direct correlation between listening to Christmas music while working and work productivity.  Listen to Christmas music at work = higher work productivity.  Don't listen to Christmas music at work = not getting anything done.  It's true.  I'm sure there's some supporting study out there somewhere that I'm too lazy to find because I'm currently not listening to Christmas music.

I know some of you are saying, "It's not even December yet.  Thanksgiving just ended."  But I challenge you to test out my Christmas music theory.

*Side Note:
Last night my small group all got together to decorate our hosts' gorgeous Christmas tree, and we watched White Christmas as we did so.  And what I found is that not everyone knows how to decorate a Christmas tree!  What?!  What's even more unbelievable than that is - gasp - not everyone enjoys decorating a Christmas tree!!  What has the world come to, people?  As we were decorating the tree last night, I had to coach my beloved small group friends on the art of tree decorating.  You can't just put the ornaments anywhere on the tree.  Ornaments must be evenly distributed.  And there must be twinkling lights.
*End Side Note

Anyway, I love everything Christmas.  I currently have 308 Christmas songs in my Holiday playlist.  And following with the Christmas music theory, I've decided to give you a list of my top 10 favorite Christmas albums (in no particular order) and why each one makes the cut.

Kendall's Top 10 Christmas Albums


  1. "A Very She & Him Christmas" by She & Him -- This is just a fun easy-listening album.  It's my most recent Christmas album purchase, and I just enjoy it's smooth tones.
  2. "O Holy Night: The Prison Show" by Sara Groves -- This album is a live recording of a Christmas show that Sara Groves did at a prison.  I love how raw it is and the story behind it.
  3. "Deck the Halls, Bruise Your Hand" by Relient K -- I love this album because it satisfies the rockstar inside me.  They do some fun twists of classics - my favorite being "12 Days of Christmas".
  4. "Harmonies for the Holidays" by Various Artists from The Sing-Off -- You can't go wrong with a capella Christmas music.  These artists are just ridiculously good.  I wish I had their talent.  
  5. "*NSYNC Home for Christmas" by *NSYNC -- I wouldn't be true to my 90s childhood if I didn't have *NSYNC's Christmas album on here.  And if you should choose Backstreet Boys over these guys, you disgrace us all.
  6. "The Christmas Shoes" by Newsong -- The best version of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" is on this album.  It's just a good album.
  7. "Holiday Sing Along with Mitch" by Mitch Miller & The Gang -- This album is simply a classic.  My family listens to it every year while we decorate the Christmas tree.  It has probably the best compilation of classic Christmas tunes.
  8. "Christmastime" by Michael W. Smith -- "Christmastime" is a beautiful album with choirs and orchestras but not stuffy and over-the-top.  It's absolutely lovely.
  9. "Elf Soundtrack" by Various Artists -- I bought this album for the version of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" and have never regretted it.  It's a fun and whimsical Christmas album that should be in everyone's holiday collection, as well as the movie.
  10. "At Christmas" by James Taylor -- James Taylor is plain and simply a musical god.  His Christmas album is sweet and sultry.
Enjoy welcoming the Christmas season!

No comments: