Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wedding To-Dos

Sometimes I start a blog post with no real direction for the content.  I think today is one of those days.  On occasion, a direction for my posts kind of naturally occurs.  I don't think today is one of those days.

So I guess I'll talk about wedding stuff, since that seems to be the biggest question people have for me recently.  We have been planning, planning, planning.  Fortunately, everything seems to be falling into place, which (to me) is just a testimony of how perfect God's timing is for all of this.  We picked out our sites and just recently figured out who our officiant will be (none other than the infamous Pastor Greenbean).

I bought this huge wedding planning notebook right after we got engaged, and the best part about having it is checking off the stuff on the checklist of things to do.  What's most helpful about the checklists is that it's not one huge, running list of stuff to get done and that seemingly never ends.  It has several different checklists that break down into 3-month increments without too many tasks on each one.  So, for instance, right now we're trying to check off the items for the 6-3 month checklist since we're 5 months away from the big day.  It actually starts the countdown at 12 months away, which means we had some "catching up" to do, but it's all working out well.  Almost everything before the 6 month checklist is done.

The biggest things we're trying to cross off our list right now are picking out a dj, florist, and baker.  I think we might have found a dj that will fit us as far as price and other specifics are concerned.  We have some ideas for a florist.  A friend recommended we look into getting our flowers done by the Pike Place flower people.  She said that she had them do the flowers for her wedding that was about a year ago and absolutely raved about them.  So we'll probably look into them.  And the baker is pretty much picked out as well.  We had several different options (including a sweet friend who offered to do the baking herself), but the option I think is probably the easiest and most fairly priced is Sluy's Bakery in Poulsbo, WA (which isn't far from here).  Since Chewie doesn't like cake very much, we are going to have a nice balance of cupcakes and pies, which should be fun.

Right now, I think the most overwhelming task for me is to figure out how to decorate our venues.  The church is relatively simple, and Chewie already has some ideas up his sleeve for that.  It's the reception venue that I'm most anxious about decorating.  I wish my sister (who is also my maid of honor) was here to help me think of some stuff - she's got a natural knack for interior decorating, and her sense of style is flawless.  But, alas, she's not here (and won't be here until right before the wedding), so I've got to do this part without her.  I'm hoping that my go-to bridesmaid will have some good, practical ideas.  

As we make decisions about what options to choose for our big day, I've discovered something about our "wedding personality" (and probably our relationship personality, too): we like things simple.  There are so many options to choose from - like TOO many.  And we've tended to pick the simpler options (mostly without even realizing it).  My dress is simple.  Our ceremony and reception sites are simple.  The groomsmen and bridesmaid attire is simple.  Our "cake" is simple.  The ceremony music is simple.  I used to think I'd want this big, over the top wedding.  But the more we plan stuff, the more I like simplicity.  There's nothing wrong with simplicity.  It's nice.  I've had a lot of different little ideas that I thought would make great touches, but my life is too busy to overload myself with too many DIY wedding projects, especially ones that won't really make much of a difference in the end.

Throughout all of this planning, I'm trying really hard to keep in the forefront of my mind that, in the end, all that really matters about our wedding is that we get married.  I don't want to be so busy preparing for our wedding that we forget to prepare for our marriage.  We will start pre-marital counseling around March, which will be beneficial.  I'm eager to hear how we can better prepare ourselves for life together.

What marriage advice do you have for engaged couples???  Leave us a response in the comment box below - we'd love to hear what you have to say!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pay attention to your gut feelings on things. Don't let people talk you into anything. When you are planning your wedding number one is Jesus is glorified for bringing you together and He will be the one to keep you together. Prayer brings intimacy so be careful when you pray together to keep yourselves pure. Your dress,a good photographer, and a good videographer, should be places not to skimp on quality or price. The rest won't matter much in the years to come. If you have a friend for pictures make sure they have done a lot of weddings. Also view what they have done in the past.