Saturday, October 13, 2012

Keep Portland Weird

Last weekend we visited Portland for the first time because we were in the area for a work conference.

We happened to be there the same day as the Occupy Portland Birthday March. I snapped a few pictures as they took us by surprise.

Some guy also asked us if we had any pot - the first time I've ever been asked such a question. And my first thought was, "Ummm, no." Which I told him - and he was very disappointed. But my second thought was, "Do we look like stoners?!?!" Haha. I hope not. :)

All of that happened within 10 minutes of our arrival.

We visited the all-famous Voodoo Doughnuts, where we feasted on sugary, carb-loaded treats. The line was long but worth the wait for these novelties. My fave was the "Captain, My Captain" donut, a regular donut topped with frosting and Captain Crunch. I literally dreamed about this donut last night. And Matthew loved his maple bar with bacon, too.

What we didn't realize was the Saturday Market, the big farmer's market, starts at the donut shop, which was perfect because that was where we wanted to go next! That was fun and interesting, to say the least.

All in all, we loved the culture in Portland. I couldn't help but notice how much opportunity there was for ministry. So many lost people but also so much seeming openness to everyone. Definitely a bit hippie-ish, but I loved it! And can't wait to go back for the Northwest Baptist Convention next month!

Keep Portland weird!




Occupy Portland Anniversary March (above and below)

Voodoo Doughnut sign

the line outside of the doughnut shop

pink box of happiness

top left: the Captain, My Captain (mentioned above)
top right: the Dirty Old Bastard (yeast donut with chocolate frosting, crushed oreos, and pb drizzle
bottom left: classic yeast donut
bottom right: maple bar with bacon

chow down, chewie!


heaven in a ring

No comments: