Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Post-Thanksgiving Thankfulness

Oh my - December is this weekend.  When did that happen?!  Thanksgiving came and went so fast.  And I know I'm a little late with this post, but I feel like I need to verbally express the things I'm probably most grateful for at this point in my life.  Some are probably a little silly, others serious.  But the point is...

I'm grateful.

Thankful List 2012

The Chew-ster -
 I'm more convinced every day that he's a better man than I ever could have imagined.  He's such a servant.  And he's smart.  And he's ruggedly handsome.  But most of all, he's my best friend.  I love him more every day, something I didn't think was even possible when we said "I do."  



My parents and siblings
Especially in light of my dad's recent accident, I've found a new thankfulness for family and how precious they are to me, even from so far away.  I've been guilty of taking them for granted and assuming they're always going to be around, which is childish.  I'm so grateful for each and every one of them with all of their absolutely unique personalities.  My life would be incomplete without them.



My in-laws -
Adding someone new to the family can't be easy, but my in-laws have been so gracious and loving.  I'm blessed to have a good relationship with my mother-in-law and father-in-law.  They have welcomed me like their own daughter, something I love but didn't expect.  And my brothers- and sister-in-law are all the older siblings I never had.  They razz me like they would a little sister, and I so enjoy that connection.  And I certainly can't forget the many nieces and nephews I've obtained since marriage.  I'm pretty sure they're convinced I've always been their aunt, and I love it!  



My bestest friend, Toni -
There are some days that I feel we are so diametrically opposite that I'm surprised we get along so well, but I'm sure glad we're friends.  She was an outstanding bridesmaid, and she's my constant enabler (which I think every girl needs one in her life).  We always have fun together, but she's also been there for me through some tough stuff (and vice versa).  So glad we're the 2 best friends that anyone ever had.  :)


My career at FBCPO and the church family that comes with it
Granted, there are some days I want to pull out my hair, but those are few.  Most days I feel overwhelmingly blessed and honored that the Lord has given me this opportunity and that the church has welcomed me in and made my first year a joy (as well as a great learning experience).  I look forward to what the Lord has in store in the days ahead.  



My Alma Mater -
If it weren't for this place, I'd still be young, naive, and relatively uneducated.  So much of my spiritual and intellectual growth is attributed to this beautiful place.  I miss being there, especially in the fall when everyone is usually going back to school.  This university is such a big part of who I am, and I'm grateful for that.  And I'm especially grateful for the relationships I had there, whether with faculty and staff or friends.



Chicago -
Random, I know.  But the mission trip I took to Chicago during my freshman year of college is what I believe the Lord used to open my eyes to the possibility of missions outside of my hometown but inside my own country.  I don't think I would have ever considered doing ministry outside of the confines of Texas, or even living outside of Texas, if it weren't for that trip almost 7 years ago.  So I'm grateful for the Windy City being a vessel for God to speak to me.



Blue Bell Ice Cream and the local Outback Steakhouse that serves it -
Besides my family and their dog, this is probably what I miss most about Texas.  I mean, ice cream in general is just delicious.  But this stuff.  This stuff.  Oh man.  Excuse me while I clean up the drool from my keyboard. . . And the only place I can get it up here is at the Outback Steakhouse in Bremerton, WA.  Bless you, Outback.



Of course, there are many, many other things/people I'm grateful for, but these top the list right now.  And I'd be lying to you and myself if I didn't include them on this list.  

I hope you're as blessed as I am and have even more reasons to be thankful.  

And now, with the Christmas season's arrival, you can count on some fun projects to be posted in the near future.  I'm currently working on two that involve wood and paint (and more money than I expected) and have another one that's got a big nostalgic touch to it.  I can't wait to share them with you all!


No comments: