Monday, December 10, 2012

Lessons from Chewie

Last night, when we were supposed to be sleeping, Chewie and I were reminiscing over the last 6 months, noting how it feels like just yesterday we were saying our vows.

I was telling Chewie about how he's an even greater husband than boyfriend (which seemed impossible pre-marriage) and how thoughtful he is and how selflessly he does things for me (and others).

Case in point, we have a dinner-dishes arrangement: if he cooks, I do the dishes (and vice versa).  But let's be honest here - I never cook, which means he does.  Which means I'm supposed to do the dishes.  I really hate doing dishes.  It's not a hard job, but I really hate it.  I don't know why.  I just do.  And I complain about doing them.

The other day I realized that Chewie's been doing the dishes lately.  He hasn't said a word about it - he just does it.  And with a good attitude.  Just because he knows how much I hate doing them.  And even though he did the cooking.  (Can you tell one of his main love languages is service?)

Then I realized just how selfish I've been recently.  It took days for me to recognize that he'd been doing those dishes, and I should have realized it right away.  And I've done this in more than one way, too.  It's not just selfishness about the dishes - it's so many other areas as well.  I've been a baby when I don't get my way, like I'm entitled to greater and better things.  And like Chewie has to provide them for me.

Boy, am I ever convicted.  I've been priding myself over being a good wife and person in general, when all I've really done is act selfishly (and pridefully, obviously).

In small group last night, we discussed the parable of the Pharisee and Tax Collector in Luke 18:9-14.  And it was like a smack in my face about how I've been the Pharisee lately, prideful and self-righteous.  Chewie's been so much the Tax Collector, humble and honest.
For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted. (v. 14b)
I'm definitely experiencing this right now, in the not-so-great way.  And I'm so grateful for lessons from the Father through my husband, who teaches me so naturally about sacrifice and selflessness through his actions, even when he's not being intentional.

So this is what I'm working on this Christmas season, learning to be selfless and more gracious and loving.  Which is kind of the whole point of Christmas anyway.  That Jesus came to earth born as a baby, a human, ultimately just to lay down his life sacrificially for sinners like me.

Thank you, Jesus, for your birth and sacrifice.


No comments: