Thursday, January 24, 2013

Vacation: Part 1

I started vacation still a little sick from the week leading up to our departure.  But I had high hopes I would get better once we were able to really rest.

So we had two flights to TX.  On the first, my ears were in pain during the descent of because of the pressure.  It was pretty bad.  But I made it through.  On the second, however, I was in tears.  It was definitely worse flying into TX.  I'm not sure why it was so bad, but I never want to experience that again.

We landed in TX and were picked up by my little sister and daddy.  And, for the most part, we did nothing while we were in TX, which we loved.  We just relaxed and visited with my family.  Of course there was lots of Blue Bell and food that we can only get in TX, which probably was the cause of about 10 extra pounds on the two of us.  :)

For New Year's Eve, we stayed at home and watched the ball drop on tv while eating junk food.  It was nothing crazy, but we really enjoyed it.  There's a lot to be said about relaxing with family.

At one point, Chewie, Kristen (my littlest sister), Kenneth (my brother), his girlfriend Courtney, and I headed to New Braunfels for a day-visit with my grandparents.  We had a really good time road tripping and then hanging with my grandparents (on my mom's side).  I think they really enjoyed the chance to see us and visit. And they took us to this amazing Mexican restaurant called Los Cucos.  My mouth waters just thinking about it.

The next day, Friday, Chewie and I drove to Houston to stay with my great aunt and uncle before we sailed on the cruise ship on Saturday.  On the way, we stopped at Chick-Fil-A for Chewie's first visit (that he actually remembers) - he fell in love.  At my family's house, we talked a while and went to dinner with them and my cousin at this seafood joint on the water.  It was delicious.  Chewie finally got to try shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico, which he talked about the whole way there.

The following morning, Saturday, we visited my Grandma (my dad's mom), which was really exciting.  I haven't seen her in years, and Chewie had never met her previously.  So we surprised her with a visit.  She was so surprised that I thought she was going to have a heart attack - no joke.  But we had a really great visit with her just talking about what's been going on in our lives and reminiscing over when I was a kid.

After our visit with Grandma, we drove down to Galveston and found our cruise ship, the Carnival Triumph. It took us a bit to figure out where to park and get all of that settled, but we finally got it worked out and headed for the ship!  But you'll have to wait for Vacation: Part 2 to hear about the ship adventures!

I don't know how we were able to fit in a visit with so many family members.  I usually don't see anyone but my immediate family while I'm down there.  So it was an exceptionally nice treat to see all of them.  And I'm really looking forward to our next visit home.  We had such a great time with all of my family.

So that's Part 1!  I'll have Part 2 out for you soon with some of our fave pics!

No comments: