Monday, August 1, 2011

"Mr. & Mrs." Pillow Set Tutorial

I finished this project a while ago and just haven't gotten around to posting it yet.  So here goes:


I give you the "Mr. & Mrs." Pillow Set!  I've wanted to make these for SO long, and I finally did.  I love how they turned out.  I saw several people posting similar projects and knew I had to try it out (and I'm pretty sure they're an Anthropologie knock-off).

I'll tell you what I did to make mine.  It was actually relatively simple.

Things you'll need:

  • 2 Pillow forms - mine are 18' x 18'
  • Burlap - enough to cover both pillows
  • Black fabric paint
  • Twine
  • Large needle - like a sturdy yarn needle
  • Liquid Stitch
  • Pink and Blue ribbon
  • Paintbrush - I used a cheap sponge one

The first thing to do is make the actual pillowcases.  I cheated and used Liquid Stitch instead of sewing them.  This is a good tutorial to follow - it's a tutorial to sew the pillow cases, but you can adjust it for the Liquid Stitch.  But first...


I wanted the edges on the outside of the pillowcase (on the back) to be a little nicer than what the Liquid Stitch allows.  So I used twine to hand stitch a seam along the edge (just fold it over and stitch).  Then I took the blue/pink ribbon and hand stitched those into the seam.  It's not as difficult as it sounds.  Hopefully the picture helps explain that some.

Ok.  So once you've done the edges (if you want), make the pillow case.  It's simple, and Liquid Stitch is forgiving for a little while if you make a mistake.  Allow to dry completely.


(You should end up with something like these.)

Next you're going to make a stencil for the pillowcases.  For the words - I used WordArt in Microsoft Word and used a font and size I thought would work well for my pillow.  This part is really up to your taste.  Just make sure it's big enough to use as a stencil.  Print it out and cut out the letters for a makeshift stencil.  Sorry that I don't have pictures of my ghetto stencil for an example.  

Make sure you insert cardboard or some other thick paper in the middle of your pillowcases so the paint doesn't seep through to the other side.



Secure the makeshift stencil onto the pillowcases using tape, and then paint the words onto the pillowcases. Allow to dry completely.  (I know - it's hard to wait...)  

(I made another pillowcase out of some other fabric I had on hand while I waited for the paint to dry!)



Last thing to do is insert the pillows.  And there you have it!  I'm thinking about making a few more sets for wedding/anniversary gifts because I have extra burlap and extra pillow forms.  I can't wait to use mine in wedding pics one day.  Whenever that is.  Haha.  

Happy crafting!


1 comment:

Heidi said...

Great idea, I want to make these soon! (Found you on Pinterest)
~Heidi