Thursday, August 30, 2012

Rest for the Weary

I have nothing witty or exciting to post for you today.  I'm simply tired.

Do you ever have days like this (or weeks or months)?  This whole week has felt like it is moving at a snail's pace.

One of the many perks of my job, though, is that I have Fridays off.  So Thursdays are my Fridays.  It's nice having a day off that most people don't.  It's like I get special "me" time or something.  Although, admittedly, I wish Matthew had the day off with me.

I've been in this awful cycle this week where I have a really hard time falling asleep at night and then have an even harder time waking up in the morning because it took so long to fall asleep the night before.  It's miserable.  Especially when my husband has the ability to simply fall asleep on demand.  (However, I probably would, too, if I worked the hours he does.)

And it's not that I'm not tired at night - I am.  I just can't seem to settle my thoughts or energy enough to actually fall asleep.  Or it's too hot or too cold.

Alas, all of this weariness has reminded me that my rest is in the One who created it.  And that the One who redeemed me was a working-man and knows weariness like mine.  That he experienced it all.  I can't help but wonder if Jesus had days where he just didn't want to get out of bed because he was physically exhausted.

I find peace knowing my Jesus is relate-able.  That he was "born in the likeness of men" (Phil. 2:7) so that he could be a high priest who is able to sympathize with my weaknesses (see Heb. 4:15).

So, if you find yourself in an exhausted rut like me, here are some verses to dwell on:

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.  (Psalm 63:1)

So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation.  (Gen 2:3)

He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  (Psalm 23:3)

Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.  (Psalm 51:12)

Behold, God is my helper; 
the Lord is the upholder of my life.  (Psalm 54:4)

Unless the Lord builds the house, 
those who build it labor in vain. 
Unless the Lord watches over the city, 
the watchman stays awake in vain.  
It is in vain that you rise up early 
and go late to rest, 
eating the bread of anxious toil; 
for he gives to his beloved sleep.  (Psalm 127:1-2)

Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.  (Prov. 4:23)

Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.  (Prov. 16:3)

A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.  (Prov 17:22)

She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.  (Prov. 31:27)

Have you not known? Have you not heard?  The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.  He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.  He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength.  Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.  (Isaiah 40: 28-31)

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  (Matt. 11:28-30)

It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all.  The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.  (Jn. 6:63)

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.  (Jn. 14:16-17)

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.  (Rom. 8:26)

I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.  And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.  (Gal. 2:20)


May you find rest and peace for your soul,


No comments: